Lump Sum Payments


You may be eligible for a Lump Sum Payment by commutation, compromise and release (C&R) or permanent disability advance (PDA). Commutation is an order by a workers' compensation judge for a lump sum payment of part or all of your permanent disability award. Compromise and release (C&R) is a type of settlement in which you receive a lump sum payment and become responsible for paying for your future medical care . A settlement like this must be approved by a workers' compensation judge. Permanent disability advance (PDA) is a voluntary lump sum payment of permanent disability you are due in the future. 


This column is for general information in answer to questions and may not apply in every situation. You should consult with competent professionals for the appropriate answers in any areas. This column is not intended to initiate any attorney-client relationship.